Friday, September 6, 2013

Mom, Jason, and Ely

The morning after Cardiff, I had no idea what time Mom and Jason were coming in so I attempted to wake up earlyish. I stayed glued to my computer waiting to hear from them. I took a quick break to go give Haven some money I owed him for renting the car for our Stratford upon Avon trip. Kylie came over and we co-wrote a travel writing piece. It was an interesting assignment, but I think it went well for us! Kylie is really easy to work with. I also worked on making some of the needed changes to my other travel writing essays which were due at Midnight that night.

Finally I got word from then and went to meet them at the hotel that they were staying in! They were staying in the University Arms hotel which was a really beautiful hotel on  Parker's Piece. After I found them we wondered to my room at Bodley's court to show them around. I took them to lunch and then we headed to the CUS to pick up the PKP tshirt and sweater that I ordered before it closed. I also grabbed my last formal ticket. While we were leaving, we came across the old Circle Church which I had actually never been inside. We wondered in and had fun reading the history of religion in Cambridge and Mom fell in love with the angels. The people who apparently lived in an apartment in the church were really friendly and let us stay past closing time and also gave us a book of the history of the church in our Church for free since Jason was so interested.It was really neat to see. 







Reunited at last!
After the church, Jason Mom and I walked to Castle hill and took a panorama picture. And then after that we walked to Kings by the back road. That night we had dinner and then Mom and Jason helped me with my travel writing essays. After they had left early (they were really tired) I finished up my travel writing portfolio to Dr. Marion Kant along with a little thank you note about how that class was so fun and made me feel more confident about my writing. She sent back another email with a little your welcome.



 I heard noises outside so I went out to see what was going on. A bunch of the PKP kids, including Thomas, Erin, David, and a couple other kids were just chilling on the benches by the river doing homework and drinking. I didn't have any homework so I just hung out with them a little. There were some empty bottles and I got excited and said I always wanted to dance with bottles in my hand so I grabbed one and started dancing which everyone found hilarious. Erin and David mentioned that one picture of me doing that would ruin my school career. Good thing I'm already graduated! (I didn't drink any, Mom). I also told the group that I wanted to learn how to twerk so Peter said he would teach me.  We went to the wall by the river and got up on it. It was hilarious. After we attempted I bemoaned the fact that I didn't twerk with an empty bottle in my hand.I am really going to miss all of those kids.





The next morning, I went to the hotel to pick up Jason and Mom to move them into my place in Cambridge. After we got all their things to my room, we all decided to head out to Ely. Jason graduated from Ely Cathedral in 1996 and hasn't been back since. We took the train out there and had a nice little walk to the cathedral.



A cute pony on the way!



A new angle of the Cathedral that I haven't seen before
We decided to pay for special tickets that got us into the stained glass window museum and the tower tour. We really liked the stain glass window museum but I wish it had more old windows, but it was interesting to see some newer ones too. True to Hanna form, I took a bunch of pictures before realizing that it wasn't allowed. The guy who checked us out had a slight English accent so I thought he was but it turns out he's from Tennessee but has lived in the UK for like 5 years.

This one made me laugh

I really liked this one

Mom bought one of these to take home. It's really cool. I'm almost jealous.
Next Mom, Jason, and I were ready for our tower tour. It was insanely awesome and we decided to pay for these extra tours more often. 







On the second level where there used to be more chapels for the monks but now is just storage. You can see the Christmas stuff stored up there.


More angels that Mom likes


On the roof










The tiny doorway we had to go though on the roof
Inside the dome thingy. All those timbers were insanely old... i'm glad they're still holding everything up!


Our tour guide opened up the angel panels so we could look in. It was soooo cool! I got a little vertigo looking down though.








We could hear the choir practicing.


Now on the roof of the tower where I took way too many pictures!


This one might be looking towards Feltwell where we used to live but I can't remember.




I think old monk housing
And this one might be towards Cambridge but again, I can't remember




Bishop's house or something


The other tower






The roof that the Victorians redid

Saint Mary's chapel. All the figurine heads were cut off during the reformation. Creepy






An old bronze rub

Death Lounger

Creepy

We did this maze. It's the same length as the height of the tower. It's what pilgrims do for their pilgrimage and it's supposed to be a meditation thing. Mom, Jason, and I did it while other tourists stared on. It was really great actually and I guess is one of the few ones still in England.
After our Cathedral tour, we went out to eat on the river and I had a great little scone with clotted cheese. After that we headed home so Mom and Jason could hit the sack and I ended up just going to bed myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment